View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
You were in PCZ 73-76? What was that like? I watched a netflix doc on the PCZ a few months ago. Do you think the US should have given back full ownership/control to the state of Panama?

I always wondered about this movie. Has a title you'd never forget. I assume Bela is not playing himself, right? I think I always wondered if it would be too silly. Is this a comedy or serious?
Hi Sculpt
PCZ was an intersting time. My Dad was stationed in Norfolk VA befpre PCZ and we left there in a nasty Blizzard with Charleston SC our destination, but we got rerouted to Jacksonville FL as Charleston was snowed in. Took a train the next day and by the time we got to Charleston, we were straded and the National Guard had to collect us and remember getting to the airport and getting a NIGHTMARE magazine and picking up VAMPIRELLA #23 and a wrestling magazine the next day as we waited hours for the plane to come. When we finally landed, could not believe how warm it was after all the cold and how it stayed that way year round other than a dry period of a few months. The CZ was very Americanized with all the things You would expect from small town America. Lots of swimming pools, Bowling alleys,and all the Monster/wrestling/ Comic magazines I wanted! My Mom had a bit of a wanderlust, so lots of day trips to Pacific/Atlantic sides of the country, the Canal itself and old Panama City which we lived next to. Joined the Boy Scouts and several hikes involving a trip to an island and through a jungle path Henry Morgan carved to get to Panama City.
Even as a little kid, could feel the resentment from the locals about US presence and was appalled when Carter signed it over and figured at least, US should get some payment for building the thing, but politics don't really mesh on entertaiment boards. Crazy thing was, after my Dad's tour was over, we got shipped to an Army base above Chicago IL right next to Lake Michigan, so back to snow!~

BLMABG has Bela's name for Marquee value-he is called Dr Zabor in the film. He helps, but movie still geys a ** from me.