Thread: The Gay Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Top Of The World Ma!!

The Gay Thread

well, since the recent coming out party - there has been a common subject running through most of the threads ... so why not beat that dead horse right here.

seems like people have a ton of thoughts that are popping out here and there ... we might as well get them all in one place ... lets see what the general consensus is.

Personally - when i was born - my mother had a gay best friend (this is the 50's) and he was my godfather.
All i knew from seeing him was that he was a nice guy. Met one of his partners once and he ga=ve me stamps from his home country (jugoslavia) which i thought was pretty cool.

So it wasnt a matter of tolerance - there was simply no question of it being something we had to 'tolerate' - it just was.

pretty much lived my life that way and we're raising my son that way as well.
My wife is of the same mind as myself.

I've met a lot of gay men through my life - most were as i mentioned in a previous post - very articulate, cultured, intelligent men. None were the flaming effeminate queens portrayed in films ... they were just guys with a great sense of style, well groomed, polite, etc.

I know it's crazy to assume all gay men are like this - it's practically another stereotype - but this has been my personal experience.

I have known of the flaming queen types and i dont care for them... anymore than i care for any show of phoniness or overt cliched sexuality. (that goes for ginos, bimbos, or anything else in that vein)
People using gayness as a way to make themselves more interesting isnt cool with most other gays anymore than it is with anyone with a brain.
(no this isnt a shot at you Posher - i know you're just enjoying the release - i expect it will become a non issue for even you before long)

I dont like homophobes. they are in the same class as sexist assholes and racists.... people with hateful opinions based on 100% pure unadulterated ignorance. people content to live in unenlightened dark ages - who are terrified by anything they dont understand.

most homophobic males are usually overcompensating for their own shakey sexuality. for some its a religious thing. either way - i think it's childish and dangerous. who you love is who you love. it shouldnt be gender specific if you intellectualize it. our genetic predisposition to breeding - the continuation of our species is the first primal decree most of us follow ... but other factors - nature or nurture - or both - can take over after that.

anyway - more rambling ...

anyone else want a say ?