View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:07 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
3) Didn't do shit for me.
4) 1 time. It's still just a plain slasher with the mask being the only thing to remember.
5) Overrated. Or outdone might be a better choice of word.
Vikings are clearly not bothered by Michael Myers. :D

-----

1) Do you remember when you first watched it?

About 20 years ago, on VHS. I was a young and hungry horror fan and Halloween was eluding me for quite some time. In fact, I watched Friday the 13th before it and thought that was the first slasher for awhile! But I finally got my hands on a copy and wow... the charm of the grainy and sharp picture quality of VHS, and Carpenter's masterpiece!

2) Did you get any feedback (from friends or media) prior to watching it?

None. I had read someplace that there was a film called Halloween and it was supposed to be a really scary slasher, and I was in love with slashers at that time!

3) How was the viewing experience? How did it affect you?

Right from the opening credits (with that fantastic score) to the finale, it was an experience worth remembering. The town, the people, Michael's childhood, the stalking, the festival of Halloween, Donald Pleasance, PJ Soles and Jamie Lee. And that background score by Carpenter! Can't have enough of it. The scene of Michael getting up behind Laurie's vision is enough to give anyone alarming goose pimples, and I was no exception. A masterpiece indeed.

4) How many times have you rewatched it? Memories? Does it still hold good even today for you?

Many times. The second time, me and my friends decided to have a VHS party (of only slashers). We picked 3 films (don't exactly remember the other two, maybe it was The Burning and A Nightmare on Elm Street) on a holiday weekend and had a real blast! After that, maybe 2-3 more times on VHS before a long period of lull till I bought the DVD. Plenty of times since then. Watched it with my wife not too long ago and she was scared stiff. Glad to say it still holds it's own, and has aged pretty gracefully.

5) Anything else you wish to share.

I didn't know anything about Halloween until about 7-8 years ago. Till then it was just another successful slasher film for me. The facts that Carpenter made it on a budget, it became everyone's favorite cult classic in a short time, and people watch it on Halloween, Michael Myers' popularity, the "Boogeyman" tag, all this was revealed to me when I did research on the film. I am glad to say that Halloween will always be the ultimate milestone in slashers - not many makers today can boast of making any film/short anywhere near or close to this film. No wonder Carpenter is a god amongst horror fans the world over.

And of course, why William Shatner's mask will always be a very sought-after collectible.

*tips hat*

Last edited by _____V_____; 01-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.