View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Finally finished The Stand. Wow, i've heard a lot of things about this book but no one ever told me how boring it is.

The first part with the plague was so vivid and engrossing that i actually felt like i was getting sick but the second part which was just a lot of walking was so boring, i barely got through it.

I thought that it couldn't get any worse until i got to the third part. When i decided to read an apocalyptic tale of good vs. evil i wasn't expecting to have to read about committee meetings and census reports and social reform. I get that showing how a society would rebuild itself after an apocalypse might be interesting to some but given what this book is about, what it was building towards, it just seemed like a lot of filler bullshit.

The last part though where the battle actually happens was pretty good and i liked the ending.

Overall, this was not what i was expecting at all and it was way over hyped and overrated. It's not a bad book but not a great one either and i wouldn't call it King's best work either.

Anyway now i'm reading Guardian by John Saul.
Not my favorite of his either but for a different reason than yours, I actually didn't think it was boring at all, in fact it was really good but I hate Deus Ex Machina. You build up this great story and then end it with "God saved the day. The End".