View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I'm in the minority of horror fans that doesn't lionize John Carpenter. I think he made one really great film, several nearly great films, and a bunch of really cheesy shlock.

Halloween is his best, for me. I like The Fog despite the fact it falls apart in the last reel, like They Live despite its cheese, like Prince of Darkness for its sheer outrageousness, and Dark Star is fun.

Most of the rest I just think are sloppy, cheesy and cliche. Vampires is one of the worst vampires movies ever made, IMO.
I agree with a fair bit of that and think he definitely has shown some really amateur touches in both his directing and writing over the years. What he does usually bring to his work is unique perspectives and style. Even a movie like They Live, which in all fairness is poorly shot and laden with cheese, is actually a really great concept and story. From the story line, right down to the matte shots when the glasses go on, there is something that just captures a really unique flavour. I do think though a lot of the time his writing is a little bit child like and his directing is hit and miss.