View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Admitted Newb

Late 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I don't think there is anything really special about that era of horror, not that those movies are bad, on the contrary they are terrific films. I think it is simply the movies that affected you the most because they came out at a time in your life when you were most impressionable to that sort of stuff. I'm guessing you were 13, 14, 15 around that time? I think the same is true for many if not all of us. If something grabs you in those formative years, it does not let go easily.
I agree and yet somewhat disagree. You're completely correct about the formative years--there are some terrible movies from those years that I love--then I see them fifteen years later and realize what dogshit they are(even if they still give you a warm fuzzy feeling)

But if you take a good look(and I wouldn't call it late 80's/early 90's so much as late 70's, 80's) it's pretty clear there were some true masters of horror working at the time, and they had some incredible up and coming FX artists working with them.

Who do you have now that compares to Carpenter, Cronenberg, Dante, Landis, Raimi, Romero, and many of the other later 70's/80's masters? I don't think most of the guys working today are going to be looked at as legends in 20 years...(and sure, there might be one or two but not many compared to back then)

Of course, I am biased. :)

Last edited by kangas; 11-02-2014 at 12:53 PM.