View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
No, fuck YOU

"Silent Hill: Downpour" PS3 7-8/10

Tho it wasn't as good as the former "homecoming" i still enjoyed this game a lot. I was glad to see they'd kept the improved gameplay and combat movements.

What i wasn't as happy about was the mess of a map system. I never managed to find half of what was possible in the town, coz the map(s) were so confusing. I'm sure i missed out on a lot of fun coz i couldn't figure out where to go or where to look and because most of the foggy town looked the same.
And i'm not too sure an auto-save system works for a game like this. I never fired a single shot or used a lot of medi kits coz i never knew if a monster boss would turn up right ahead. Neither would the gamer know which door he would open that would change the story and take him to the next stage. That toatlly sucks when you can't save yourself.

Okay, now to the good things.

Where Homecoming was like a blend between Silent Hill and "Hostel" this version was a mix between Silent Hill and the asian horror/fantasy movie "Re-cycle". I really appreciated the total mindfucks it played on the gamer and the crazy surreal and horriffic second dimension.
The creator had certainly taken this a notch or two up in this edition. Some of the escapes from this dimension was seriously intense. One of the absolute highlights for me was the rollercoaster ride in the mines. Those miners coming to life... creeeepy. :D

There might've been less creepy atmoshphere than in some of the former games and i would be lying if i said there were a lot of different monsters in this one. But for me, i would've enjoyed it just as much, if not more, without a single monster at all. The best scenes in Downpour was the ones without any monsters anyway. :)