View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 06:27 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Have you watched Re-Cycle yet?
Yeah... I was... Kinda disappointed... I ranted about it in the "Last Seen Thread" (if you're interested):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I just saw Re-Cycle.

First, I'd like to say that I am incredibly unimpressed with so far with what I've seen of Hong Kong Horror (the Pang Brothers are from Hong Kong, stenchofdeath, not from Japan). While The Eye, for example, is fairly iconic amongst Asian Horror fans, I found it lengthy and disappointing (though conceptually brilliant).

As for Re-Cycle. This movie can be summed up in one word: Turgid.

Overwrought, over-directed, over-produced... Far too much soundtrack, far too much insipid story line...

Like The Eye, the concept was brilliant. And the myriad of nightmarish visuals that take over the middle of the film are beautiful, macabre, interesting, and compelling... I felt as though I was at times wandering through Neil Gaiman's nightmares, or traveling through a live action version of Paprika... As soon as she steps off the elevator and begins her journey, I was captivated... But soon my attention was lost in what turned into a sappy contrived resolution. I think that this would have made an AMAZING 45-minute short of just her journey into The Abandoned. The boring and contrived background story coupled with the cheesy Disney-clad resolution at the end of her travels (What Dreams May Come, anyone?) made me just... angry.

I give this movie a C/C+, giving it extra credit for the stunning visuals. If the Pang Brothers had a better editor, this could have been a much, much better film... But, ultimately, I was just annoyed.
Have you watched it yet, NE? What are your thoughts?

So far, from the selection On Demand, I've seen:
  • Oldboy - First time I've ever seen it. Thought it was brilliant.
  • Ghost of Mae Nek - I was bored, but overall have to blame the boyfriend for not finishing it; part of me wants to go back and finish it. I thought that the depiction of the ghost was interesting (wonder if the black oval in the middle of the forehead is specific to Thai culture) and the myth itself was interesting.
  • Re-Cycle
  • The Maid - Very interesting Chinese ghost movie. I was more interested in the cultural aspect then the movie itself, but it was enjoyable.
  • The Red Shoes - I thought this movie was great, though ran ultimately a little long.

I really want to see 6IXTYNIN9 too, though I'm not sure if I'll get to it before 9/2.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!