View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 06:01 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
Just curious, what didn't you like about The Beyond or Opera?

I have a soft spot for the Italians. Over 20 years ago it took me the better part of a decade but I managed to track a copy of pretty much every single film Fulci directed with the exception of some early documentaries he did. Argento only took me a year by comparison, but I find Opera and The Beyond both to be highlights in the Italian catalogue so I'm always curious to hear what others liked or disliked in the Italian realm as it's kind of a special niche for me.
Hey RDB! Good to hear from ya!

Well, it's been a while since I've seen them, so allow me to be more general...
In regards to saying I wasn't a big fan of From Beyond, I know that's likely to get folks to say some nasty things to you . But it's pretty simple, it's a personal peeve I have with a high percent of Giallo films: I don't like illogical scenes. I can take a dream sequence in a film with the best of them, but a film that's full of illogical scenes irks me.

From Beyond, as far as remember, doesn't announce its dream sequence but it's full of illogical, unreal, and impossible scenes, including jump-cuts. You know, like the spiders killing the dude the way they did. If you know the film well, you already know what I mean. So it's just not something I enjoy. I still appreciated the film and enjoyed it in my own way, I'm just not a fan.

I was very looking forward to Opera. The trailers I saw had some great shots (thinking of movement shots through the crowded theatre). But the film as a whole had very few impressive shots (as I recall). It had some unrealistic scenes (thinking of killing scenes in the big room with props) where victims should have moved or escaped, stuff like that... which I was prepared for, but still rather something I endure. Overall, I just didn't find the story all that intriguing; and didn't really find it all that suspenseful or exciting either. I know Opera was very well received by critics, but I just have to be honest. Maybe I was in a horrible mood, and I should give it a second look.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-13-2021 at 06:08 PM.