View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 12:21 AM
Evil Dead

Faces of Death 1978 ★

While rewatching, I soon came to my conclusion: the age when I could have somewhat enjoyed this has come and gone.

I'm sure numerous pages have been filled calling this immoral and perverted. This is neither of those. Nowadays, It's just dull. A non stop montage of carnage. The question "real or not" does not grab me anymore and the narration can often be summarized with "sheesh, ya think?"

Dawn of the Dead 1978 ★★★★★

One of the best, if not the best zombie movie ever.

A wonderful insight in a world falling apart during an apocalyps. With the chaos in the newsroom as the perfect illustration. Or with the line about how the rednecks are enjoying themselves. You make your own parallel with later events here.

All this with an excellent score by Goblin, both adding beautiful music and an eerie atmosphere where the stress and the fear never let up.

Meanwhile, Romero manages to bring likable main characters to the story. As a viewer, you sympathize with Roger, Peter, Stephen and Francine. You feel happy for them when they find a place to stay, with plenty of food. And guns? Well... "The only person who could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it." Boom.

The crushing feeling when Roger gets bitten or when zombie Stpehen comes out of the elevator is both sad and devestating. Further demonstrating the world ending feel.

The zombies look cool - with a particular mention for zombie Maynard James Keenan. While his character may have been a jerk, Tom Savini delivers a badass performance. Both as an actor and as a make up artist. And his buddy Taso gets one of the coolest, most gruesome kills in horror history.

A must see for every horror fan. In every cut available.