View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
I think I'm the only one here who isn't in love with this movie. I thought it was good, but only that; it was good with its humor, its scares, its gore, its story- but it didn't excel in any of those things, and consequently I was left with no lasting impressions.

The Evil Dead was so good because it was a sick joke for adults. This seemed to cater more to a younger Spider-man crowd; I was surrounded by 12 year olds who appeared to be out on first "dates" and who all had a ball. To them it was the scariest and craziest thing they'd ever seen; to me, it was horror-lite, and a bit of a compromise.

I'm not saying I hated the film, but for the sake of turning this from an ass-kissing thread into a good debate, I thought I'd share my opinions.
I'm curious as to what horror films you have been watching recently in the theaters. There have been some ok horror flicks in the past, oh, five years but with the exception of Grindhouse none have provided the thrill that Drag Me has. Bloody Valentine 3D, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Last House on the Left... some ok remakes in the bunch but they didn't even approach this film. Raimi combined horror and humor effortlessly once again and the anxiety he created in some scenes was beautiful. I loved it, I guess I could see somebody who needs gore to complete their horror experience being disappointed but the themes involved and execution of the story was anything but "lite". I love how a lot of members here said Evil Dead could have only gotten a PG-13 rating if it was released today but a lot of the same people complain about a horror flick with a PG-13 rating. You don't need to have a graphic film to be able to build tension and get scares, I'm glad Raimi sees that. I firmly believe that if he felt his film needed an R rating to be effective he would have pushed it further but it simply didn't need the push. There's still plenty of gross moments too :) .