View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I've been reading through a bunch of saved topics with people saying how they aren't scared of current or any horror movie. I believe you are more susceptible when you are younger. I'm talking before teens. Perhaps even before double digits. Things are just bigger and more unknown when you are younger. Every experience is new. Being alone in the dark at a theater or sitting in front of the TV at night is a different experience as a kid compared to as an adult. However, there are ways to get in the mood if you are older.

1. You have to like movies. I mean really like movies. If you don't then an old classic horror movie with different cinematography, setup, sounds, etc. will probably do nothing for you.

2. Don't watch any trailers. I have no idea why people will hear about a horror movie and watch a trailer thus spoiling any potential surprise. It's that new experience that kids have you are trying to recreate.

3. Watch the movie at night. Maybe after midnight on a good setup with surround sound. Perhaps even alone. If you watched a scary movie as a kid it was probably alone even if friends were there because of your personal experience of the movie. Basically, after the movie you want to be paranoid looking in dark corners and stuff.

4. Not to endorse drinking. But know your limits with your favorite alcoholic beverage and push right to the level where your rational senses are depressed a bit. After all, when you are young the idea of a lot of these horror creatures is possible. As an adult, some of them can seem silly.

What do some of you guys do to get yourself in the mood to watch horror movies?
I agree...you most definitely have to get yourself into some sort of mindset. Also big screen and surround can enhance certain aspects of the movie. Case in point....The Eye [ original ]...the sound effects in that mother always put a chill right down my spine. Crank it up to 11 and DAMN.