View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Yeah, I just started it, but couldn't get through it. There's a point where I get far enough into a female exploitation film and I just start feeling... depressed.

I can appreciate it intellectually as a pure genre piece (it's interesting to see some pure Asian Grindhouse cinema) and I can definitely enjoy the JA Schoolgirl take on the female prison movie (hey - I like Girl-On-Girl S&M just as much as the next guy... Both ironically and... Uhm... Well... you know)... But in terms of pure visceral reaction... there's a point where the OldMan-On-Girl action... Just doesn't sit well with me.

Not really my cup of tea, I guess. I can't say that I hated it because as a Grindhouse exploitation piece, it was pretty damn good... The genre, well, as Des said, just doesn't do much for me.

I think I would have enjoyed it more as a lesbian softcore. But, well, then it wouldn't be exploitative schlock, eh?

Hey, Doc - This is amongst your Top 100 list... I want to hear your take on the film... Not setting up an argument; I just honestly see you as someone who watches films both for enjoyment AND intellectual fulfillment - I want to know why you, personally, recommend this film (again - Not being belligerent. I honestly want to know your opinion).
The main thing I liked about it was the level of transgression and all the layers of it. First of all, the movie takes a private school and turns it into a women in prison movie. That to me is shocking and reminds me that whatever high school is to Americans, films like this and Suicide Club remind us it's twice as draconian to the Japanese. Second, I love the over-the-top splat interpretation of the cruelty teenagers, teenage girls in particular inflict on each other. Mean Girls? Heathers? They don't quite get how mean kids can actually be to each other, while this is over the top, I like the "might as well be" metaphor, as you can tell from my writing. These girls get a chance to strike back, which is HUGE when you look at the institution of school. The ending is poetic and intense, reminding me a lot of things like the Wall. As an anarchist who had a rough time in high school and saw a lot of girls messed up by the inhumanity of the institutions and each other, these ideas intrigue me. So, I don't look at it as torture for torture's sake, but as torture to reflect torture that is not called torture. I think this was a novelty and though some of the kink is too much, it says a lot.