View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
How The 'General Forum' Is SUPPOSED To Work

We seem to keep having disputes about this, so let me see if I can help

1) The General Forum is to discuss topics that do not fit in any of the other forums.

2) Topics discussed in the General Forum can be about 'anything'

For example:

Topics about food, activities that are not necessarily horror-related, topics about your kids, current events, opinions, thoughts, questions, where you live, how old you are, your job, leisure activities...ANYTHING...If it doesn't fit in the Horror Movie sections, Music Sections, News sections, etcetera...It goes in the General Forum

3) The proper way to discuss ANY topic, is to create a thread ABOUT that topic, then post in that thread about that topic, while others respond to that thread about that topic.

For example:

In the Modern Movies section, there will be threads about certain movies...People will post in those threads about the movies (or subject pertaining to movies) that are named as the topic of each individual thread.

IE: Thread Topic: The Village...Common responses: "I didn't really like it"..."What was Shyamalan thinking?"..."I really DID like it, it was different"..."Where can I buy this cheap?"..."I bought this one because I got a really good deal on it"..."It was okay, but Signs was better"..."How can this be classified as a HORROR movie when there was no HORROR in it?"...etcetera...Now, if it were to degenerate like THIS:

Responses to "Where can I buy this cheap?":

Person 1: I got mine from a drug dealer
Person 2: Drugs are bad
Person 1: They're okay, but I like alcohol better
Person 2: You're an idiot
Person 1: What? I'm just stating my OPINION, what's wrong with THAT? What about freedom of speech?
Person 3: I agree, some drugs aren't all bad
Person 4: I think most prescribed drugs shouldn't even be legal, they hand those things out WAY too much
Person 5: Alcohol causes more problems and THAT'S legal
Person 1: I like to get wasted and have sex
Person 6: I can have sex for hours

New Person clicks on thread to read about THE VILLAGE...Has to read through 3 pages of shit about sex and drugs...That's fucked up

Now, this doesn't usually happen in the Modern Movies Section (but, it ALWAYS happens in the General Forum), perhaps because the Modern Movies section isn't as vague as the General Forums 'Talk about ANYTHING', so people know how they are and are NOT supposed to respond to a thread

So...The problem with the General Forum is:

1) 'Talk About Anything' is too often perceived as "Talk about anything, in EVERY THREAD, no matter what the topic of the thread may be"

2) A topic that is labeled as "Talk About Anything", is redundant because the entire FORUM is labeled "Talk About Anything"...We don't have a thread titled "Discuss Modern Movies" in the Modern Movies Forum...We don't have a thread titled "Discuss Music" in the Music Forum...We don't have a thread titled "Discuss True Crimes" In the True Crimes Forum...Etcetera

I originally believed (hoped) that a "Talk About Anything" thread would keep the people who wanted to CHAT, from chatting in EVERY thread, or from "talking about anything" in EVERY thread in the general forum, even if the topic was about politics (for example, since politics doesn't fit in any other section)...However, that hasn't happened, has it?...A thread about politics will inevitably contain shit about sex, alcohol, Britney Spears, bathroom habits, or who knows what else...If someone points this out, they will be hit with "This is the General Forum, we can talk about ANYTHING here...FREEDOM OF SPEECH!"...However, people fail to notice that the THREAD isn't titled: "Talk About Anything In THIS Thread"

3) Some people do NOT want to discuss any topics here, they only want to CHAT...Nothing wrong with that, except that there is a difference between a FORUM and a CHATROOM...Those people who would like for this place to be a FORUM are clashing with the people who want this place to be a CHATROOM

One of our members posted a link for a chatroom so that people would stop using this forum as one...Renob fucked that up (on purpose, as he admitted), and the 'chatters' just didn't like it for some reason

If people want to discuss topics (even things such as the color of your toilet paper, which HAS been discussed here), they do that on a forum...If people want to CHAT, they do that in a chatroom...If people want to chat AT a forum, they do that in Private Messages (yes, THAT'S what private messages are for, they are NOT for harrassing each other), or they add the people of the forum to their Instant Messengers and chat with them that way...You can talk to as many or as few people as you want, all at the same time on an Instant Messenger

That being said...The reason MOST people do NOT want to talk in a chatroom is because chatrooms are incredibly stupid...Have you EVER been to a chatroom?...ANY chatroom?...Check out one of the chatrooms on Yahoo (for example, because that was the one that I observed)...They have hundreds of topics, just choose one and check it out...What you will notice is, no matter WHAT the topic of the chatroom, everyone is saying the same shit in all of them...Childish nonsense, incessant mindless prattle, name-calling, arguing, flirting, boasts of sexual proclivity, and drunken puking, etcetera...Even in the AUTOMOTIVE chatrooms...Now, look at our FORUM...Notice any similarities?

Bottom line...Chatrooms SUCK...Most of the members here would prefer that our forum not become one...

4) People who create threads just to get people to talk to them...This would be someone who might say (over and over again) things like, "I don't like the other sections because no one will RESPOND to me there"...and..."Come on people, why won't you TALK to me?"...or..."I was really hoping for more responses in my thread"...And..."I need someone to entertain me"

Sorry...A forum isn't created with the sole purpose to stave off YOUR individual boredom, and people don't join with the sole intent to AMUSE YOU

When someone DOES create threads like this (usually MULTIPLE threads, in hopes of eliciting MORE responses), it tends to piss people off, but the 'attention seeker' usually enjoys this because in that way he IS getting responses...However, for the rest of the forum, it is beyond tiresome, and any NEW people who may consider joining (and could potentially bring us something BETTER to discuss, or at least add some interesting input) is turned away because of all the garbage they see here...

So, for those who say, "We can make as many threads about as many things as we want in the General Forum, and they don't have to have ANYTHING to do with horror"...You are correct...But, think about the people who may want to read something INTELLIGENT, or who may not want to read 10 pages of "you're so cute" "let's do it" "my sister will, she's a whore", and they can only find 10 threads out of 30 on the front page that are WORTH looking at, then when they click the seemingly WORTHY threads, they find out that THOSE threads have been filled with the same mindless garbage, chatting, and arguing as the others...It hardly seems worth it to come here AT ALL

5) People who create at LEAST 1 new thread EVERY DAY to discuss their contrived PERSECUTION, that they claim they want to 'stop discussing' at the same time that they are mentioning the exact same thing in EVERY thread that they post in...Get a fucking life, and knock it the hell off already...

Here's something to consider:

If a straight man walks into bar, not realizing that it's a gay bar, but soon seeing that it is upon entering, he will turn around, walk out and find another bar...No big deal...

He will NOT walk up to random gay men and tell them how much straight sex he has, or try to 'fit' in with them as if he has nowhere else on earth to go and just has to make the best of it at a place where he does not belong, has no interest, and makes himself disliked and his presence unwanted...And if he DID, he would be seen as the pathetic, mental incompetant that he must surely be, and asked to leave...

THEN if he persists in BEGGING the patrons of the gay bar to like him, accept him, and communicate with him, when they have already told him to stay the hell away from them and NOT speak to them, the patrons of the bar may decide to go somewhere else if he persists in hanging around for no perceivable reason other than to be bashed, then bitch and complain about being bashed...At which the regulars of the bar, who do NOT want to leave, will become angry and develop a deep-seated animosity toward the person who has caused them to be unable to hang out with the friends that they used to hang out with...They will resent the fact that their favorite place to hang out with their friends has been fucked up, and the atmosphere has become hostile and stupid...and they will wonder why the asshole doesn't just LEAVE, and go somewhere else

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be

Last edited by bloodrayne; 05-17-2007 at 02:39 PM.