View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 07:38 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

20. Nosferatu (1922)

This is my personal favourite 'Dracula' film and I personally feel Max Schrek's portrayal of the role is the best in cinema history. It is hugely atmospheric and has some stunning visuals. The scene towards the end of the film where 'Count Orlock' approaches Ellen's bedroom, where you just see his elongated shadow on the wall has to be one of the most iconic scenes in horror history. Considering the age of this film, about 80 years old, I find it remarkable it still works a good horror film. Ok it's black and white and silent but that shouldn't put you of, just give it a try and see how influential it has been on films since. Ok some of the acting is hammy but what do you expect from the 1920's? If you want to see a creepy vampire film you can't go wrong with this, and just think what horror film from recent years will still be talked about in 80 year's time? None that I can think of. - Yeti.13

19. Hellraiser

Hellraiser is one of those films you absolutely need to view twice. Why? Because the first time it is seen, you will be so shocked and out of sync that you will not be able to truly see its beauty. Led by Pinhead, the Cenobites are perhaps the most frightening things to ever come out of horror. This film is not for the faint-hearted, as it is extremely dark and very twisted. And that’s why, through a few silly 80s claymation scenes and bizarre soundtrack, we treasure this one close in our rotting little horror hearts. - alkytrio666

18. Suspiria

The first time I watched Suspiria, I wasn't sure what I was seeing at first, but the more I watched, the more intrigued I became. The garish lighting and that strange, unrelenting tune that holds throughout the movie made me feel progressively more uncomfortable until finally, I was sitting on the edge of the couch. I think this is Dario Argento's finest work, a beautiful and terrible thing to watch. - Miss Olivia

17. Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn

I first saw this back in the late 80s, and it is one of the few films that I never get bored of.
In my opinion this is the best horror comedies of all time. Gore, violence, slapstick comedy, amazing effects, tons of blood, laughing furniture, straight forward story line great acting and of course Bruce Campbell! What the hell else could you ask for?
The original Evil Dead was good but this has to be my favourite.
It has a very simple plot, so no thinking is required but it is not your usual cheap crappy horror film. The camera work is fantastic especially for it's time and the budget of the film, but the main thing that makes this a great film has to be Mr Campbell. His hammy acting is out of this world, who else can pull off beating yourself up with so much style? He just fits the film perfectly, be it talking to himself, laughing with the rest of the house or cutting off his hand with a chainsaw.
The Deadites are all fantastic and all talk in just the right eerie way, all the make-up F/X are all handled brilliantly and still look good today. Also the on going one-upmanship between Sam Raimi and Wes Craven is still evident with Freddy glove being hung above the door in the tool shed.
If you haven't seen this film you'd better have a bloody good excuse!!
To put it in one word 'Groovy!' - Yeti.13

16. Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead is the third installment in the Romero Zombie Trilogy. This film is darker and eviler then the two previous films because it deals with a corrupt underground government and the people who try to over turn it to survive. I liked this one alot because it dealt with zombies becoming more advanced and it makes it creepier to think that could actually happen in the film. Zombies running around using guns? That is just crazy! - GorePhobia

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:28 PM.