View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

10. The Shining (1980)

The Shining is one of those movies that will never go out of style. It's a mix of psychological thriller and haunted house horror that builds tension so masterfully that many times you feel it in the muscles of your shoulders before your brain is aware of it. The breakdown of the family unit is like a train wreck, and you watch helplessly as the father (Jack Nicholson, in a master performance) slowly descends into madness aided by the darkness that lives in the hotel. There are scenes that haunt me until this day, and I've never been in a hotel corridor since that didn't have me looking over my shoulder. The musical score is perfect for building the tension, and when the hotel truly wakes up, the movie becomes one nightmare of a ride. A must-see for any horror fan. - Miss Olivia

9. A Nightmare on Elm Street

A Nightmare on Elm Street was a dark and gritty horror film. It was one of the first that "started it all" in the terms of Slasher films. Wes Craven directed this horror film and in no time this film was an instant success. I loved it alot and I believe that Robert Englund, the man behind the make-up is a great actor and did a magnificent job scaring the hell out of people. - GorePhobia

8. The Evil Dead (1982)

To me, horror movies are about two things: Getting scared, and having a great time in the process. The Evil Dead pins these two objectives right in the heart, and leaves you to bleed. Not only is it creepy, it’s over the top, it’s disgusting, it’s provocative, and it’s hysterical. With the help of Bruce Campbell and the rest of Raimi’s cast, this movie is everything you need for a fun, scary night. - alkytrio666

7. Alien

For as long as I can remember, Alien has been a part of my subconcious mind. The first time I watched it, I was physically shaking by the time it was over, and slept with a light on for the next 4 years.I dream about H.R. Giger's creature now on a regular basis. The dirt, the grime, the claustrophobia, and the sheer frenzy that comes from being enclosed with a terrible THING and having nowhere to go.....all those make, for me, an enduring impression, like teethmarks in bone. Alien is one of those rare movies that stands the test of time even 25 years later. A true horror classic in every sense of the word. - Miss Olivia

6. Psycho (1960)

I guess lots of people think you're supposed to like Psycho. and I also guess that it's a combo of it being in black and white and done by Hitchcock.
but whatever the reason, even if it's just my idiotic brain that has been trained to think that black & white equals aesthetically pleasing, this film looks great. it is, of course, because of Hitchcock's direction.
there are plenty of tv shows and books about why this movie is great, or at least why you should think it is great, but I figured I'd give you one of my reasons. I like it because it reminds me of vacation.
at Universal Studios in Florida they useta have a show about Hitchcock where they recreated the Shower Scene verbatim. they showed exactly how Hitchcock shot that scene on a soundstage in front of a semi-small audience. it was amazing. it really made me appreciate that scene and, in turn, the entire movie.
they got rid of that show, unfortunately, along with a bunch of other really cool shit (like the Kong ride), but I still remember that, at one time, Universal Studios Florida had something special and meaningful, and not just lowest-common-denominator shit. or run-on sentences. - knife_fight

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 10:34 PM.