View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 11:54 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
The Godfather, 1972

What an excellent film that is! Truly an all time classic

STRAW DOGS (1971). >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

For most of its running time, SD appears to be a character study. One thing fo sure, these are not characters I would want to be around. Dustin Hoffman plays an incredibly smug milquetoast who has left America to live in his new wife's English village. Said wife (played by Susan George who is very good here) is quite the flirtatious type with many of old boyfriends/admirers who remember here and within ten minutes You can see how incredibly mismatched these two are. It doesn't help that the majority of the villagers are thuggish drunken louts.
You will need some patience, but stick with it and the last third of the film really pays off and I think is quite frightening-even the first time I saw it on regular late night TV with expected cuts. This drew lots of criticism on its release for the violence, which is quite extreme, even for Sam Peckinpah whose films were usually full of it. It may not be your cup of tea, but film is worth seeing. ****