View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Vaeni View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean The Shining and Silence of The Lambs turned into laughably bad films.

I think what I find laughable in both films is the performances. Jack Nicholson has turned into a caricature of himself over the years; both he and Anthony Hopkins' performances were so good and I've watched them so many times--and done impressions of the characters so many times--it kinda takes me out of the movies at this point unless I block all of that out and really focus to be sucked in again.

Who here hasn't done the ol' "I'd fuck me so hard' bit to make friends laugh? Now try watching that scene again to be creeped out. Hard to get back to that creepy place when you've parodied it. But, it's easier to do with The Shining, for me, because there's such a variety of scary/creepy things going on and there's no way to soften the blow of their nightmarishness.
I definitely get where you're coming from on this and there are several films that I can recall where it's been done so much or parodied so much that it really takes away from the intended impact it's supposed to have on the viewer. I think specifically for me the film Alien has lost its ability to affect me the way that it used to because of how overdone the concept has been since that film was released. It really takes a bit of effort on my part to become really involved in it anymore. I would also like to address the fact that with the information age being the way that it is you could unintentionally ruin the impact of films you haven't even seen yet because of how prevalent it is in society and our pop culture minds. Silence of the Lambs is a bit of a shining example of this. Who hasn't seen a parody of Hannibal Lector, or Frankenstien or Dracula. That's why anymore I try to keep myself as in the dark as possible to plot elements and themes of upcoming movies because it's become far to easy for a film to be ruined merely by browsing the internet for a certain amount of time. :(