View Single Post
Old 06-24-2023, 11:08 PM
Evil Dead

Doom Asylum 1987 ★★

No masterpiece by any means. But an enjoyable piece of silliness with suitably bad acting and plenty ofwhat the fuckery. Preferably watched with friends and complementary substances.

The dull plot did not keep my attention, but the movie has a few good kills and suitably weird characters.

First of all the band. The only reason for Simon Cowell to turn around would be to tell them to stfu. Not to mention blonde Cyndi Lauper and her blonde bandmate and their inexplicable hysterical laugh.

A Cary Elwes-lookalike with a gf who call him mom. (Ronald Reagan: And then people call me weird)

The Paul Pfeiffer of the group. He gets the coolest kill after paying for his obsession with his Wade Boggs (Lord Palmerston!).

Or the Velma-like character. Did she get a cool kill? I already forgot. That's this movie for ya.

One more fun thing was the killer spending his time off watching vintage horror. Just a shame they drag it too long.

A few good ideas, nut either they go nowhere, or they are stretched out too long. That's this movie in a nutshell.

The Goonies 1985 ★★★★

After the emotional moments at the Oscar-ceremony – the teary eyed Goonies never say die – I felt a certain moral obligation to rewatch The Goonies. I'm sure I saw it one time or another but I definetily not put my finger on where.

It delivered on every level. This is for all the eighties nostalgics who wants to go back on a trip to their youth. A perfect bland of cu-razy adventures and the type of cartoonish over the top villains you would expect in akids film. That last one is no surprise when you cast the mama from Throw mama from the train? But Cypher cartoonish? Or Robert Davi? The Bond villain who feeds FBI-agents to a shark and puts a traitor in a laundromath? Actually, you know what? He might be overqualified.

Not to mention the cheekiness that kids have and get away. Tailor made for Coray Feldman. (On a sidenote: Imagine him doing Franco's part in Spring Breakers. What would that be like?)

And of course the portrayal of a budding and lasting friendship. Friends who don't let each other down and do everything to look out for each other. Especially touching when you know the real life friendships that are rooted in the shooting of this film. And by the end with the predictable popping up of the ship, you are good and ready for a good sob. And who is not entitled to that every once in a while?