View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Spookshow

The first icon that really had an impact on me was John Wayne. My grandfather loved John Wayne and I remember we used to watch them all the time. He would make apple pie with vanilla ice cream for us and we would sit down and watch McClintock, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Hondo, and pretty much every other movie he ever made. John Wayne has shaped my idea of how a man should be, most of the important men in my life have reminded me of John Wayne. Just a quiet simple man that works hard and lives by his own moral code.

Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia had a huge effect on me, they taught me that the light side of the force is much stronger than the dark side. I remember my dad took me to the theater for the rerelease and even though I'd seen it on VHS before, you really need to watch it on the big screen to get the full effect, especially if you're a kid it feels like you've been transported into another world. I wanted to be the hero like Luke Skywalker, I wanted to be cool like Han Solo and I wanted to be strong like Princess Leia. I've been a Star Wars fan since birth and I'll be a Star Wars fan til death.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, my dad read me the hobbit when I was little. It was an illustrated version of the book with pictures from the 70's cartoon of the Hobbit done by Rankin and Bass so I actually paid attention when he was reading because I had something to look at. When the Lord of the Rings came out I was in the 7th grade and my dad took me to see the movie which I totally fell in love with. It was after the movie that I wanted to read the book and trust me reading that book when you're 12 is super hard because J.R.R Tolkien likes to go one describing every tree and flower in a forest for 20 pages but I managed to power through all three book in about a years time lol. Lord of the Rings brought me together with probably the closest friend I've ever had, I even got voted by my 8th grade class to be most likely to start a Lord of the Rings fan club and I'm not as embarrassed by that as I probably should be.

"Enjoy that dead girl's body."