View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 02:04 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
No worries, Sculpt...old FD is here to help!

THE KILLING (1956). Excellent heist movie that crackles with nervous energy. It's been compared to THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950-another one to check out), but in that one, the gang wants to pull off one last job, the KILLING group needs to, hoping the money will improve their circumstances. Not professional crooks in any sense of the word, other than a great Sterling Hayden as the mastermind for the crime.
This early Stanley Kubrick film has wonderfully nourish photographic angles and fine performances by Colleen Grey (very touching), Marie Windsor (viperish as can be) and a standout performance by Elisha Cook JR, once again playing a meek guy trying to be tough and not really succeeding. Also a brief but pivotal spot with Timothy Carey, one of the all time great "Social Undesiribles".
Obviously a big inspiration for Quentin Tarantino, like RESERVOIR DOGS, THE KILLING bounces to different times throughout, but I find it makes the film more suspenseful. Also, according to IMDB, during the distracting Bar fight, Rodney Dangerfield is up against the wall on the right watching the action...paused the frame and it sure looks like Him, probably one of his first gigs. *****
Yes, I saw THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950) in the last year. Good film, sad ending. I look forward to seeing the Killing.