View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 02:01 AM
Evil Dead

HENRY:PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (1989)--------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>///////////////////////////////////////////////SPOILERS-------------

The late 80's were kind of an odd time for Me when it came to music and almost every horror film....very little grabbed Me , so much I was dubbed an "Old Fart" (at 25, no less) by a 19 year old because I felt earlier decades had superior offerings.
HENRY had been recommended by both my Brother who was a true FANGORIAn at the time and a guy who enjoyed Art films. With two such differing approaches, decided to check it out. To say I was shook up is putting it mildly...I could see the budget was low, but such a level of competence in all areas and it's so grim throughout (Run down City streets) with two of the most shocking parts I had ever seen at the time -the Boys making a movie and the final act that destroys their association.
First time in, my three year old was playing in her room, but when she came out, I would pause the film , tend to her needs and start up again, which only added to the unease. When a laugh came-when Henry says "Not particularly"- I truly needed a laugh at that point.
Re watching it, has held up very well with Michael Rooker solid and the late Tom Towles superb as the goofy Otis who begins to "Learn the ropes" from Henry and pretty soon passes him in depravity...truly one of the most loathsome characters I have ever seen, although what little humor the film has comes from situations involving him, especially "I gotta have a TV!" ****1/2