View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 PM
HDC Idol

Shit. That movie was absolutely fantastic. What really struck me about it was

[Spoilers]

We're essentially dealing with an unreliable narrator - Someone who either IS crazy, or is NOT. As someone that has dealt with being "crazy" (I was undiagnosed bipolar until my mid-20's), it can be really challenging navigating friendships. Me, personally, I found that people LOVED ME when I was in my manic periods... Not so much when I was in my downward slope. It was so hard and I started to mistrust that people actually cared about me - I have a hard time with the ways that movies represent the mentally ill because they are typically very black and white - They're crazy or not. Period.

What I absolutely loved about this movie is that at its heart, it's about a guy who is legitimately trying to help his friend who is mentally ill, at the harrowing cost of that scene in the end when he was demonstrating that he isn't one of those "Things." He struggles with supporting/helping his friend, but unlike other movies, when he starts to suspect that his friend is unwell, he doesn't TURN on his friend. I've seen that so many times. Turn on the friend, the friend lashes out, goes all crazy, and then winds up fucking DEAD. No. Instead he believes him, and grounds him. I don't think I've ever seen that happen in a psychological thriller like that - Either the Guy is Crazy (and turns into an actual threat) or the Guy is NOT Crazy (and enter whatever Hell-dimension he has been seeing and we're all truly fucked). This movie honestly choked me up a bit because it was literally about a guy just BEING THERE and PROVIDING SUPPORT for someone with a mental illness. Sometimes, that's literally all you can do - Just say "I'm here, I care about you, you're important."

[/SPOILERS]

Join my Facebook Horror Group!