View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 06:11 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
DRAGONSLAYER (1981). Don't pass this by because of the Disney name...extremely gritty and well made . A King has entered into a bargain to keep a Dragon at bay and some of the locals enlist the aid of a sorcerer for help and end up getting his apprentice instead. I'm sure parents expecting the usual Disney film for their children were dismayed to find somewhat gruesome parts and brief nudity (important to the plot and not for sensationalism) as well as the Dragon itself...magnificent work done to create it. Very recommended. ****
Saw on the big screen. Excellent film. Really has a unique look and feel to me. Impressive effects.

I don't think it's a great film, as the story has off-kilter feel through out, and the ending not exactly leaving a great satisfying feeling. It's been a long time since I've seen it (and only twice)... I think the reason for the off-kilter feeling is partly because the characters are not intimately understood; or otherwise lack backstories, depth or superseding great performances which make them innately understandable. Just my opinion.

Kinda funny, I saw Dragonslayer as part of a double-feature with my folks, and my brother and I each brought a friend. The next film was Body Heat... so my folks walked us out pretty quick into the film. A friend of the family recommended Body Heat to my folks, and it was a good film, but I don't think they knew anyone was planning on bringing kids to it. Also not a proper double-feature matching.