View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
HDC Idol

Best/Worst of 2007

I was trying to come out with the BEST movies of the year, so far (that have come out and that I've seen), and I compiled...

CHRONOGRL'S TOP 10 LIST:
(in no particular order)

Paprika
This anime actually came out last year in Japan, but its US release is 2007, so I have to put it on this list... It's beautiful, whimsical, dark, and gothic... Explores the line between dreams and reality in a little different way than we've seen in a while. I was pleasantly surprised.

28 Weeks Later
One of the best horror movies that I've seen in a long, long time. It takes not only what 28 Days started, but also what the zombie mythos started oh, so long ago. I thought that the concept of post-apocalyptic quarantined London was fantastic and the scares were great.

Across the Universe
Not a perfect movie by any means, but it definitely showcases Julie Taymor's directorial expertise at putting together a true period piece of the 60s through a fancifal musical featuring Beatles songs... I was a HUGE fan.

Darjeeling Limited
I definitely have a soft spot for Wes Anderson, 'tis true, and this is not nearly as good as his Tenenbaum opus, but I thought that he was more focused in this film than he was in Life Aquatic and Owen Wilson and Jason Schwartzman were just... Incredible. Bill Murray makes an appearance, which was brilliant.

The Host
Originally released in South Korea in 2006, this film was released in the US in 2007. Definitely THE best giant monster movie in recent history. Great special effects, fantastic writing, and excellent acting. Wonderful balance between comedy, horror, and drama. I was impressed.

Grindhouse
There's no denying it: Two great directors brought together, combined with beautifully interwoven fake trailers is a mixture for success. Honestly, I enjoyed Planet Terror more than Death Proof, but I would say that the movie experience of the two of them together was simply... Incredible.

Hot Fuzz
What can I say? I love Simon Peg and Edgar Wright. This was a very well-constructed policemovie spoof with some genuinely good laughs. I was REALLY impressed.

Borderland
One of the 8 Films to Die For, I thought that this was an overall impressive movie... I've already ranted about it a few times on this forum, so I'll leave it be for now.

Crazy Eights
Another of the 8 Films to Die For, this was a very clean, very chilling horror movie. Definitely deserves more attention than just being swept under the After Dark rug.

Mulberry Street
Yet ANOTHER of the 8 Films... Great use of the zombie mythos to create a pretty well-done monster movie. I've already said it, but I definitely recommend.

Top-10 Best list contenders (but only omitted because I have conflicting reports of whether or not they were 06 or 07):
Bug
Fido

As for the WORST, I'm not sure yet...

Beowulf was pretty bad.

And the other 5 movies of the 8 Films to Die for were pretty abysmal as well:
Nightmare Man
Lake Dead
Tooth and Nail
Unearthed
Deaths of Ian Stone (brought to this list ONLY because of the terrible TERRIBLE ending)

What do you think? And while you're at it, what are YOUR best movies of 2007? Do you agree/disagree with the above?

Let's discuss.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!