View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 10:38 PM
That fucking Guy...

Started reading "Paper Girls".

By Brian K Vaughan, writer of...
One of my favourites - Y The Last Man
One I couldn't really get into but a lot seem to love - Ex Machina
One that I thought looked very interesting but not my style - Saga
One that I loved in every way - The original run of the "Runaways" title.

So I went into this with at least the expectation that I'd be seeing a bit of a labour of love. I hold BKV in a similar light to the Luna Bros...they all write things that I either like or can at least see WHY people like them.

I didn't realise the whole series was finished by the time I read issue #1, so I've been binge reading a little bit, I'm up to about issue #8 now.

It's set, or at least starts in 1988...as an 80's kid myself, I dig the throwback...and they handle the era, the "personality" of the era and their referencing with grace.

I don't have this happen much any more - but this comic grabbed me.
By the end of issue #1 I knew it was one I wanted to keep reading and see through.
Without spoiling anything I can say that it's a story of four young girls that deliver papers, who kind of team up on their late night runs...and then, weirdness happens.
A lot of weirdness.
Bullies. Aliens. Maybe NOT aliens. Sci fi mystery. A conspiracy. A bit of violence for good measure. Time travel, a displaced person, twists and turns and changes.

It's like...I want to say more, something to clear up what's going to just look like a jumble of words...but I really don't want to risk spoiling much of anything for those that would read it.

Grab a collected edition if you can. I don't see this one disappointing many people.