View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Well one thing I always thought about was the woman in the bathtub. All psychoanalysis aside, if you want to go with the ghostly side of this movie it is a well-known fact that hotels are notorious suicide spots especially for prostitutes who often do their business in hotels. So was this dead woman in room 237 maybe the ghost of a prostitute who committed suicide in that bathtub? I think it's a very plausible theory and she may have even represented somebody from Jack's past back when he was the caretaker in the 1920's. What do you think?
I really don't know anything about the bathtub woman. I think what struck me at the time was what it revealed about Jack and the Hotel... the hotel was supposed to be empty besides his family, and Jack was a married man, yet he just went with kissing the woman. He was revolted by the mirror reflection of decay/death, it was a foreshadowing, and a clue for Jack, but it wasn't enough to change his course with the Hotel's force. So I don't really see her as a prostitute, nor someone who committed suicide. Plus in the 'transformation' she's shown as very old (face), not just decayed, so I don't think that fits the story narrative.