View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature View Post
I watched Lucio Fulci's 'The Beyond' (1981) this morning. It's been quite a long time since I've watched and found, despite its awkward dialogue and some bad acting, that I enjoyed it.

The score by Fabio Frizzi is great, and the atmosphere is one which the viewer can easily sink into and enjoy. There's some truly shocking scenes in this film as well. The "spider scene" is especially cringe-worthy!

And of course, I adore endings which implicate something timeless and/or cosmic, such as the climax of 'The Beyond' certainly does.

I don't know what DVD copy most folks own, but the one I have features some interesting interview with Catriona MacColl, David Warbeck, and even Fulci himself. Is it strange that I enjoy hearing stories about Fluci almost (though not quite) as much as the film itself?

And, despite the infamous inconsistencies of its plot (they don't bother me), the film does have substance. Especially interesting is the theme of eyes in this flick. Does evil makes us blind? I believe there's much evidence in the affirmative.
I do love the ending of The Beyond. Some very cool scenes. I can't say that I enjoy 'dreamscape' or illogical films. If I go in knowing the whole film is going to be like that, it helps, but I didn't know that when I saw this the first time, so it was my problem.