View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 11:30 AM
ventricle

Captain Marvel -- I've always had little interest in Captain Marvel because it's like Superman, who's super powers are rather boring because they are too powerful, too invincible, they risk nothing. So circa 2019, I really have no interest in seeing a flying, invincible superhero film.

Brie Larson -- I didn't know anything about this, but reading up -- The problem with her saying, "there's too many white male film reporters at this interview" is that it's literally racist and sexist without specifying a specific injustice. There's racist and sexist injustices to speak out against, but the makeup of the conference wasn't one of them.

She can identify and propose solutions to specific barriers, and encourage more women or other groups to get into certain fields, that's a positive way. There's an interest, physical and temperament factor in the makeup of certain fields, which by no means accounts for all types of disparity (which is more usually an affluency and class-exclusion issue), but mere group disparity in a field is not itself injustice, it's simply a data point.

Rotten Tomatoes/Cheeb -- So Cheeb, you say RT replaced the poor ratings page, with a blank ratings page, for Captain, and later replaced the blank ratings with more positive ratings, maybe more than once?

That sounds bad, but a case could be made for having a sufficient number of reviews correlating to the number of theatres the film is in. Reason is obscure films will have less reviews available.

On a related issue, to be evil, RT would have to cut out specific bad reviews, cause restarting the page won't change their reviews. Really one would have to know which critics were a part of the first page, and if they're missing from the second, to mean anything.

Anyway, I lean on Audience Score, not the Critics Score cause not only can Critics be shills (but suffer in reputation if they shill) from time-to-time, but not only do many feel pressures to inflate reviews, they support the film industry in general. The written reviews are the real value, not the rating.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-04-2019 at 11:34 AM.