View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Captain Awesome

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
No, I meant inspired by. The reason I attacked that part so much is because they use it so loosely. From everything I read about the movie before hand, and the reports on the press releases that New Line put out, they were refering to the Gein case when they said inspired by, but they screwed up 3 major things when they did the movie (the original as well):

-didn't happen in Texas
-he didn't use a chainsaw
-he killed two people and just robbed a bunch of graves, hardly a massacre

Now, that is from the reports I have read about the Gein case itself. However, when they say inspired by and use small details from what they claim inspires their movie, no matter what the movie is, they should use more than what they used in this. I could say that the movie was inspired by a Hawaiian Island because it has people in (or on I mean) it who have heard of Texas and know what murder is. I'm still right by saying it was inspired by, but it leads you to believe that this is how the story went, which is what leads people to believe the story is true. That's my problem with that kind of advertising, just the fact that they try to push that it actually happened. However, they didn't go any where near as bad as the Blair Witch did. I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel about how it actually happened. That's slightly...f'd up.

Based on usually tells the full story exactly how it happened while inspired doesn't, but in this type of marketing they are leading you to believe it is based on a true story, especially with their press kit full of crime photos, tissue samples, and the rest of their stuff.

Last edited by Dave; 12-13-2003 at 06:15 PM.