View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 04:21 PM
ventricle

I liked the 2010"remake", but I didn't love it.

So, just being realistic... if you remake thee bonafide classic of The Wolf Man (the film that introduced America to the werewolf, and made it one of The Three Monsters)... you have to smash it to the Moon.

The Wolfman (2010) was decent to good. That's not even close to the Moon.

Now The Wolf Man (1941) had lots of poor parts. Like you mention, Bela being a smallish dog-wolf was always a head scratcher, but it never bothered me when I saw the film as a kid (also my first werewolf film).

What was much poorer about the film was Lon Chaney Jr's interactions WITH HIS FATHER, his own father! It was beyond forgettable... especially just after he was bit. His interactions with his father's household is just plain bizarre... it borders on incomprehensible, but much worse, it's inconsequential.

However, it did hit big in certain areas.

One is casting Chaney for this film -- he evokes sympathy like the deepest ocean. The film & Larry Talbot are as simple as a fable, and he's a god. He's simplistically accessible (like Arnold Scharzeneggar in Total Recall).

The Wolf Man (1941) is a simple dream -- and the cinematography is perfect for this dream. It's memorable because it hits the basic subconscious symbols like a dream.

In contrast, The Wolfman (2010) activates conscious thinking in the audience, but it doesn't deliver a feast for the guest.

Now there are so many great simple story directions a new werewolf film can go. It's truly hardly been tapped yet (unlike vampires). I'm excited to see some original stories told.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-18-2015 at 05:17 PM.