View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Evil Dead

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>

Probably the first of the Classic Universals I was able to see...a little bit anyway. Had about 5 FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND and a CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN, so was a liitle familiar with titles etc. Saw a picture of Lou standing next to Glenn Strange in the TV Guide which piqued my interest. I was about 8 going on 9 at this time and my Parents would go to parties and leave me and my Brother at a Nursery for a cheap babysitter. Got home and caught the last few minutes starting with Dracula and The Wolfman are chasing each other. Some years later, read the "Fearbook" in FM #105 and finally in Spring 1978, it was playing on TV and really liked it (was truly disheartened years later, watching on regular TV and a commercial break meant the WHOLE scene where Lou returns Talbott's grip was cut-Bastards!)

Have watched it many times over the years and still think it's absolutely one of the BEST films ever---will always be in my Top 10. The Monsters come off with dignity and respect and A&C were never better. Just love "The Moving Candle", Lou's reaction when he first sees The Monster ("Oooooo-WOW!!"),
Lou returning the suitcase and writing the note, pulling the quilt over the Monster and the scene where Lou yanks off the tablecloth and his reaction to the camera is guaranteed to send my wife into hysterics... and that's really scratching the service. Good Greg Mank commentary also. *****