View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Sectoid Cuddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Thanks, Gum! That is interesting. I read Samhain is a real pagan harvest festival, but there is no Thorn constellation in real life.
Yeah, the whole Thorn thing was made up for the movie, but I thought the connection to Samhain was really cool, especially how it was presented in Halloween II.

If you think back to when that came out, no one knew anything about Michael Myers other than he killed his sister for some reason, was near catatonic for 15 years, then suddenly escaped to kill more people in the same town. Everything as far as a motive is a mystery, and all you know is that Michael is something dark and dangerous. Suddenly, when Loomis is called to the elementary school that Michael defaced, you are given a child's drawing of a family with a knife sticking out of the daughter, and the word "Samhain" written in blood on the wall. This is the first glimpse we get into Michael's mind, because no matter what was compelling him to do what he did, Samhain was important enough to him that he had to write it on the wall. With the reputation that paganism has, and the later revelation that Laurie is also Michael's sister, I feel like the connection to Samhain through the Curse of Thorn was a great development for Michael as a character.