View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 04:56 PM
ventricle

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
7/10

Various folks are traveling on the Orient Express, traveling through Eastern Europe when there is a murder on the train! The train is delayed on the tracks by a snow slide, and a famous detective Hercule Poirot is tasked to solve the murder before the unpleasantness of foreign police arrive.

I was hoping the producers would twist, that is change, the final outcome of the story (as told in the Agatha Christie novel and the 1974 film), or simply write a new plot based on the book's setting and detective -- especially because the original film (and novel) were so widely seen and read -- because, if you already know the story, characters and who-done-it, it pretty much ruins the most alluring aspect of the film. But no, it's the same.

I don't read anywhere that the use of the title required the film producers render the story the same; so I don't why the story wasn't changed. I'm certain the setting (the Orient Express train) and the character of detective Poirot are the real pleasure and fascination.

As compared to the original film, the cinematography and visual effects are quite beautiful, and the shot movements (and editing) have a pleasant flow and pace. Although, I'm not sure the shots added much to character and plot exposition, casting innuendos, piquing suspicions, and building suspense. This film spends less time displaying detective Poirot interviewing the train riding suspects, but as the plot is unchanged, this is the best and most essential part of the story... and as a result, I thought the story, characters and the film overall were less engaging.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-13-2018 at 05:03 PM.