View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
That's what I thought too, but it was so glanced over. And then what was the point in the beginning on focusing on the priest in the desert with his weird vision of the Pazuzu statue and finding that artifact?
OK, so the priest in the desert at the beginning is the older priest who dies at the end (Lankester (Father) Merrin). He was at an archaeological dig in Iraq, found an amulet resembling a statue of Pazuzu, a demon he had cast out years earlier. The wind and dogs fighting indicated the demon was back, evidently for revenge on Merrin... so I read... But the film rather shows the demon seems to know Father Caras, and tells Caras he possessed Regan so that the demon can be with Caras.

I didn't read the book, and I'm not planing on it, but maybe you can just chalk it up to the demon knows a lot and lies a lot, and that's all there is to it. It's Merrin who finds the demon, or is sent to the demon, through The Vatican, so the demon's ties to Merrin really don't mean a hill of beans the larger scheme of things, nor the film, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
There should have been more emphasis on how it happened. You'd think the mother would've been concerned about that so it didn't happen again. It doesn't take long to film burning an Ouija board, come on.

I need to read the book, maybe it'll better explain. Which I actually have, but I don't read well, that figures.
You're right, the film really doesn't go into the ouija board and Captain Howdy much at all. It's just creepy to know, and they move on to the other stuff. And I gather you're just joking around, but as you probably know, I don't think the magic solution of 'burning of the board' was invented until 2000's horror films.

If you just want the short version of the plot explained, wiki covers the main ties https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exorcist_(film)#Plot

Last edited by Sculpt; 08-23-2017 at 06:23 PM.