View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 07:08 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The wind and dogs fighting indicated the demon was back, evidently for revenge on Merrin... so I read... But the film rather shows the demon seems to know Father Caras, and tells Caras he possessed Regan so that the demon can be with Caras.

I didn't read the book, and I'm not planing on it, but maybe you can just chalk it up to the demon knows a lot and lies a lot, and that's all there is to it. It's Merrin who finds the demon, or is sent to the demon, through The Vatican, so the demon's ties to Merrin really don't mean a hill of beans the larger scheme of things, nor the film, in my opinion.
I agree entirely. Take him out and you don't really miss him. He wasn't even the exorcist who saved the day. Hell he dies (by the demon's hand or heart problems as indicated by taking pills, I'm not sure) and it's Damian who takes Pazuzu out. The character may have had a larger role in the book, but in the movie, he was really just not needed. He only raises more questions.

Honestly I would've liked to have seen Damian go against the church and try to do the exorcism on his own. I mean they were sure hella quick to agree to all this even though he stressed earlier that it wouldn't be easy to get the church's approval even with solid proof (his proof btw was constantly getting debunked). He had mentioned before he was possibly losing faith, like why even mention that if you're not going to go further into it? Seeing this possession and taking it upon himself to save this child's soul would've been a great soul search to behold.

But maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
You're right, the film really doesn't go into the ouija board and Captain Howdy much at all. It's just creepy to know, and they move on to the other stuff. And I gather you're just joking around, but as you probably know, I don't think the magic solution of 'burning of the board' was invented until 2000's horror films.

If you just want the short version of the plot explained, wiki covers the main ties https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exorcist_(film)#Plot
I was mostly poking fun, yes, but it really did bother me that it was never addressed. I'm not even a parent and I think that was pretty fucking stupid for a mother to not even consider either during the possession or after all was said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
I also read the book, but, it was so long ago I don't remember ANY details. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
That's okay, horror mom. I always appreciate the feedback anyway. 8)

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!