View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Scares Little Kids

I was thinking of this myself.
I read some of Lovecraft's letters a while back and was amazed by his intelligence (and political incorrectness).
Never was drawn to him as a writer of fiction although I started to hear about him in the 1980s.
One point he made was the idea (later echoed by others like Truman Capote) that American literature had become alienated and de-natured. He said writers like Faulkner, Joyce, and others did not represent American reader tastes.
In a way, I think he has been proven right-since his stock has risen, while the likes of the writers he mentioned (presumably including Hemingway) do not seem to be holding public interest like it was once claimed.
In a similar way how Tesla has become more well known after decades of Einstein being heralded as the genius of the 20th century.

As for Lovecraft's fiction--definitely hugely influential, although I find that it takes a while for the build up to take effect. I.e. At the Mountains of Madness--sloooow build up, but by the time you get to the caves, the sense of dread reaches considerable effect.

A history of horror essay by Lovecraft introduced me to the works of Fitz James O'Brien.