View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 03:09 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
I saw HORROR OF FRANKENSTEIN when I was 14 and later on VHS. It's a remake of CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and one that tries to be funny...and really isn't. First time as the Monster for Dave Prowse and also Kate O'Mara along with Veronica Carlson.

At this stage of life, I would pick Mary Ann as well. Maybe Ginger appealed to the Prurient interest of my Grade School self when first watching it.

THE GREAT HOUDINI (1976). Saw this back when (around Halloween, which is when Houdini died) and better than Your average MFTV film with more impressive production values, a decent story and what a cast! Paul Michael Glaser (STARSKY AND HUTCH, although He looks very much like Adult Actor John Leslie here), Sally Struthers (ALL IN THE FAMILY, good as Houdini's patient loving wife), Adrianne Barbeau (MAUDE), Bill Bixby (MY FAVORITE MARTIAN, COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER and a year away from THE INCREDIBLE HULK), Clive Revill (LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE), Maureen O'Sullivan (TARZAN films in the 30's), Wilfrid Hyde-White (TEN LITTLE INDIANS -1965), Nina Foch (RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE), Geoffrey Lewis (SALEM'S LOT), Peter Cushing (as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle-'nuff said!), Ruth Gordon (ROSEMARY'S BABY and stealing scenes again) and Vivian Vance (I LOVE LUCY-VV is terrific here).

Only real dig I can put in here is it focuses more on Houdini's occult leanings and some of it is not entirely factual, especially in the relationship between his Catholic wife and Jewish mother; I've read they got along reasonably well. Also, HH is SUCH a Momma's Boy here. Would like to have seen more of his escapades, but not a bad intro. ***
Yep, I remember seeing this on TV. Not bad. I appreciated the slant to his occult/seance interest. I think I read he liked ferreting-out the fakes because as an escape-artist designer he knew the mechanical tricks sometimes employed.

Yes, Ruth Gordon is such a powerhouse actress. Quite the cast in Houdini!