View Single Post
Old 07-19-2023, 10:38 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
I'm supposing after her two ordeals with the species, Ripley probably have no sympathy for them. For Me, it's the same as ticks. I don't like to kill any animal, but I find ticks dangerous, destructive and disgusting. No mercy where they are concerned.

FULL METAL JACKET (1987)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

This Vietnam War film seems to improve with age, as do many of Stanley Kubrick's films do. It's really two stories in one opening with boot camp training and being in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive and focusing mainly on "Private Joker" (Matthew Modine), a sardonic and cocky correspondent who is not as bad ass as He might think, especially towards the end, which is full of tension.

Of course, the main reason people remember FMJ is the excellent first part dealing with boot camp training under the harsh, extremely profane Drill instructor and his particular "motivating" of "Private Pyle" who can't seem to hack it. oddly enough, most people don't mention how "Joker" gets some mental and physical abuse from the DI as well.

As Sargent Hartman, R Lee Ermey (a real life DI) set his career forever mainly playing the same type of person. His profane tirades actually are funny, although I sure would not to be on the receiving end. Vincent D'nofrio playing the hapless Pyle is very good and at times Your heart will break for him (despite his endless screwups) particularly what is described as a "Blanket Party".

I do like the scenes where Pyle seems to have gotten the gist of what to do and find Ermy's tone in "What's this weapon's name Private Pyle?" to be almost paternal, although things do go back to "A World of Shit" and the film does decline after the exits of both of them. ****
It's funny, I don't even remember the second part of the film.