View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Misanthrope

Do you remember when you first watched it?

I was about 12 or 13 and me and a friend had been watching a bunch of horror movies each weekend working through stuff like the Friday The 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street flicks. Always heard about it and read about it in magazines like Fangoria but never could lay my hands on it. A new video store opened in town and they had a section of ancient tapes you could hire for $2 and Halloween was in there. I nervously took it up to the counter hoping they'd let me rent it because a lot of places were strict with the age restrictions on tapes. They let me rent it and that was the place I went to from then on to rent more dubious titles.

How was the viewing experience? How did it affect you?

I remember it being one of the first horror films to creep me out most notably the opening scene shot though the eyes of the mask and the shots of Myers creeping around in the background. Most of the previous horror films I'd watched were fairly comical but Halloween was straight up errie to me. I watched it off the old Media tape (which I still own) and it was quite murky and dark which added to this effect. I thought it was great and it stood out to me as being stylistically different from a lot of the other horror films I'd seen especially the music and innovative shots. The title sequence still remains on of my favourites.

How many times have you rewatched it? Memories? Does it still hold good even today for you?

It's a film I haven't watched a lot of times compared to other older horror films because the tape was so hard to come by over here. That tape disappeared from that store probably eaten by someone's hungry VCR before I got to rent it again or dub a copy. Caught it again a few times since DVDs came onto the scene and it holds up well and along with The Thing is Carpenter's best work. Halloween is a film I hold in high regard and discussing it here has reminded me I should watch it again.

Anything else you wish to share.

Whether or not it's the true "original" slasher film is debatable but it's definitely the first iconic one. The sequel is great too and I agree with newb's sentiments of Jamie Lee Curtis being smoking fucking hot :D