View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 06:32 AM
Scares Little Kids

Can you mix Real Time Strategy with Horror ?

Hey,

What do you guys think of RTS mixed with Horror? Is it possible? Is it a bad mix for PC gaming communities?

I want to try out this design on my project but first I take a look at the past:

"They are billions" - very good RTS game with a nice Zombie theme but very far from being a horror game.

"Classic Xcom/Ufo" - the best tactical game that got a nice horror vibe/feel to it but not in real-time

"Darkwood" - good thriller & horror but not an RTS

This been said I will now present my core pillars for this project and you can do a "nay"-"yay" vote if you want

- Empathy for characters: This is not an FPS so emphasizing with the situation will be a bit hard but I plan to achieve that through Example:1. Each character will be unique( equipment/stats and most important personality, personality is shown trough out randomly generated speech text in result with triggers and situations) 2. The game got Perma-death .3 Character customization

- Adrenaline of making a choice: I want to make players feel each choice matters and increase their adrenaline by not only having perma-death but also saving game cannot be done at any time and it also costs resources according to how many people you got in the squad.

- Phobias: I plan to use as many phobias as possible, for example, there will be a room full of bugs that player must cross (optionally) to get an extra reward

- The mystery of the unknown: many random generated algorithms and difficult based on how you play the game

- Mechanics & visuals: for example, we have a monster that got eggs on his back, from those eggs worms come out and if not killed fast the worms keep growing larger and larger. Another example: a huge tentacle monster that only hides in the dark and snatches player characters. Anxiety can be very fast achieved with such gameplay especially if the player will have the possibility to barricade himself inside buildings and try to survive the coming monsters

- Theme/plot: I am going for a Lovecraft-alien invasion - demon zombie plot

- refs: many refs from classic horror movies like Maximum overdrive, the thing, the mist, aliens, invasion of the body snatchers, and so on, mainly J. Carpenter movies and Stephan king classics

Example: I made a map within the layout of the movie "The Mist"

[img width=880]https://img.itch.zone/aW1nLzU2ODQxMzUucG5n/original/kN4jCY.png[/IMG]

The actual Game banner is a mix of the movie the thing and color out of space

ANd a vehicle interior similar to APC from ALiens.

If you have any suggestions about the RTS+HORROR mix let me know.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by 16Bitnights; 04-21-2021 at 06:33 AM.