View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 AM
Evil Dead

THE SHINING (1980). One of my favorite King novels, particularly where Jack is regretting, worrying, trying so hard to overcome his Demons. I found those parts riveting and really hoped he would succeed in his personal/professional life.
This Stanley Kubrick film has SO MANY good things,; the awesome score, wonderful sets, the exquisite photography, the use of the Steadicam and some truly creepy images (Those little girls). Felt at first viewing and still do, that Jack Nicholson really wasn't right for the part, despite several great scenes. Too well known and he starts acting twitchy right after the interview and there's just no empathy for him...think Michael Moriarty would have been a better choice as there is a vulnerability about him. Shelly Duvall has some great scenes (especially when she discovers Jack's work), but too mousy/timid. My impression of Wendy from the book is somewhat beaten, but with inner strength to draw upon. Brooke Adams (SHOCK WAVES/1978 INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS might have been able to pull this off. And felt it better when the Torrances find out about Danny's Shine later in the book instead of at the beginning of the film.
No complaints whatsoever for Scatman Crothers...the perfect choice for Dick, although wish his shine had had more oomph.
THE SHINING has had a lot of debates about its merits and while there could be some changes (Besides cast, pick up the pacing...Kubrick could be very methodical), for the most part, is an extremely good film and has aged much better than many of its comtemporaries. ****1/2