View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 02:55 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I think I saw all or half of Orville's first ep, and it didn't grab me. When the Cpt reviewed his new lined-up crew, especially the odd/funny alien, I was turned off. Looked like it was going to be what I disliked most about the Star Trek spinoffs, it seemed very cliche and I didn't really find anything particularly funny. So I didn't give it much of a chance, but you go with your tastes.
I get that, and I know this following line is nearly always thrown out to someone that hasn't enjoyed a show, but... "it gets better".
In the first 1-2 episodes, I remember what you're talking about - in fact, I didn't really like the show at this point, it seemed to me like it was Seth McFarlane just doing another one of his shows, but in space...which kind of annoyed me...though I found it inoffensive enough easy watching.
Then, he cut the shit...seems like there was a realisation somewhere that he didn't need to pander to his cartoon audience, and the show started making much more positive strides. Of course there was still a portion of idiot humour - but there was also more character depth, and better storylines.
Season 2?
Keeps on going down the same path, but really. Aside from the cast you'd think it was a different show...major changes have happened with the tone and writing.

I'd say the same thing to you as I did my brother, who like you avoided the show on largely the same reasons (and in the last week has watched all of the show)...give it a chance, even as background noise for a bit. You'll see it improve.
Ha or don't.

Last night we caught up on "The Good Doctor" a bit.
I gotta say, I'm a little tired of them specifically doing the tear-jerker stuff in every. fucking. episode. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but this fucking emmy bait show manages to get me all the time.
For a medical procedural, it's not bad. Some interesting cases. Some ridiculous ones.
This show is a great example of diverse casting, and they play off each other pretty well.
Never saw "Bates Motel" but the dude does a pretty good job with his character here.
So he's just been fired after having an outburst...this should be interesting moving forward.
The show has a tendency to have characters you really hate for a while...

STAR TREK DISCOVERY.

I'm sorry but did anyone fucking NOT love this episode?
Cements which "universe" this show takes place in (original timeline, cool), and just...it's giving Pike a chance to shine, which aside from short spurts, he's never really had before...and Anson Mount is cast perfectly in my mind.

The actual "previously on Star Trek" footage of the original pilot "The Cage" put a huge grin on my face...and going back to Talos IV...wow.
Anyone who knows their ST knows "what happens in the end" with Pike and Talos IV which is probably one of the nicest and most well done write-offs of a fucked over character in history - but to see the trio and Vena again, was very cool.

...and of course, the inevitable clash between Tyler (which in my mind is one of the most interesting characters in Star Trek history) and the "reborn" Culber didn't disappoint - in fact, the little guy got his fucking shots in, didn't he?
Then in the end, to see how just...lost...both of the characters are in their own skin...kinda sad...but yeah, very well played out scene.

I'm a little tired of seeing how many "Star Trek purists" attack this show...yet something like Enterprise was embraced...it's like, I'm just happy to have Star Trek on tv again. So many nitpickers.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 03-09-2019 at 02:58 PM.