View Single Post
Old 06-18-2023, 07:23 AM
Evil Dead

The Bride of Frankenstein 1935 ★★★★½

I was struck by how much happens in the short runtime, since the actual Bride part is kept until the very end. For the slow pace some of the vintage films are known for, this one has quite a lot going on.

The opening bit explaining the origin of the story was okay. Even if they lived in the same era, putting Lord Byron and Mary Shelley in the same room came across as a bit forced. Also, while I'm sure it was meant well at the time, stressing the idea that one of the all time horror classics was written by a woman, the dialogue cannot help but look dated by current standards. The overstressing of the frail little woman. We got it.

For a horror movie, this film also has one or two touching moments. Like when the monster strikes up a friendship with a blind man. Masterfully linked to the ensuing tragedy.

Or how the monster at first comes across as rough around the edges. But then at the end, of all people, he has the wise insight that he and Pretorius are better off dead. In fact, his whole story arc in this film is a testament to personal growth. Learning how to speak, gaining insight in life and human relations,...

I also liked how they entered Pretorius and made him out to be more of an explicit villain. And make him really mean and heartless. Thus making and well understanding one of the big sequel rules: go big or go home. The other side characters were fleshed out well too. With the gossipy busy body as a well done comic relief.