View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 05:32 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Great stuff here. It has been a spell since i have seen Suicide Club, but from what i can remember, my take on it was that there was a youthful awakening of the masses of the actualities of a culture gone astray, where things and doings have overtaken the notion of living and being truthful with humanity. Suicide was almost a choice that was driven by the notion of regaining one's life through a choice not made by one's culture or civilization. The social nature of man was given to joining those of the same philosophies, those that chose a grotesque truth over an inculcated contentedness, and in doing so they spoke with their actions instead of mere words. Late.
g
That's really really interesting. So, here's my issue - I really like the concept of regaining one's life through personal choice (which is obviously ironic because they are regaining life through killing themselves)... But here's my problem: I'm not sure how much of this discontent that we actually see in the film... I guess it's more implied by the actions than it is overtly displayed to the audience... But with a first viewing I just didn't "see" it.

Of course, that doesn't mean that it isn't there - It just means that this movie isn't immediately accessible... Which isn't really a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
I've no doubt that those interpretations were correct, but even after the explanation my final verdict on the film is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxrGSul1GhU
bahaha - I need to keep that Youtube link.

So, do you think the interpretations are rubbish, or that the movie is rubbish?

I think that it might be a little unfair to shrug off the film in its entirety as "rubbish" - Though I can completely understand not enjoying it.

The fact of the matter is, after the film, I wasn't sure whether or not the journey to the end was "worth" it... Or even if the END was "worth" it.

Honestly, it's in this discussion thread that I'm really starting to "get" and appreciate this film more and more. I also think that more of this will manifest through repeat viewings... I just don't think that I'm "ready" to watch it over just yet.

Noroko's Dinner Table however, is pretty much next on my movie watch list. Really excited to view it and to add to the discussion.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!