View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I really don't know anything about the bathtub woman. I think what struck me at the time was what it revealed about Jack and the Hotel... the hotel was supposed to be empty besides his family, and Jack was a married man, yet he just went with kissing the woman. He was revolted by the mirror reflection of decay/death, it was a foreshadowing, and a clue for Jack, but it wasn't enough to change his course with the Hotel's force. So I don't really see her as a prostitute, nor someone who committed suicide. Plus in the 'transformation' she's shown as very old (face), not just decayed, so I don't think that fits the story narrative.
But I feel like she could have maybe committed suicide after she turned old, like maybe she felt that she was no longer desirable and she hated herself because of her profession? I mean in some horror movies ghosts can appear in a young form and old form. Plus Jack seemed to hold some deep resentment towards his wife so it's no surprise to me that he was thinking about cheating on her with some random beautiful naked lady. Maybe instead of a ghost she was some sort of sexual fantasy created in his mind and he turned her into an ugly old hag when he felt guilty for cheating on his wife?

I dunno, I'm not exactly an expert on things like that.