View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 11:49 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Nice!!! loved Jonny Quest cartoons! The opening (1964) (intro music with the clips) is really a masterpiece.

So how are the eps hitting ya as an adult? I usually find "you can never go back" to the enjoyment you had as a kid seeing something, but sometimes gain a new appreciation.

I was just looking a some Amazon reviews... with at least "Jonny Quest - The Complete First Season" Golden Collection, not sure what company produced and is selling this, but reviewers are writing:

"I'm so tired of all this "PC" crap! The "Pursuit of the Po Ho" has some of the dialog removed, The lines "ignorant savages" and "heathen monkeys". In the episode of "Monsters in the Monastary" the line "Uh-oh. Here comes the Oriental Express" is deleted. All you see is Jonny's mouth move. "

"I once bought the set of DVDs and was horrified at all the edits. Apparently the studio brass decided to "scrub them clean" of anything politically incorrect for the packaged sets sold in bookstores with expensive coffee."
I guess I got lucky, Sculpt...just watched "Pursuit of the Po-Ho" the other night and those phrases were all in there, along with "Devils".
I remember really liking JQ in Kindergarten/first Grade with "Turn The Terrible" (Giant pterodactyl shown in the credits), although being frightened by some episodes, especially the Mummy, The Invisible Monster and the old Nazi. Found some VHS's
in the 90's at my local video store and found they still held up.
In Adult hindsight, I would have to admit the show is pretty racist -all the Villains , for the most part, are Asian, African or Latino, along with a smattering of Slavic as well. Must remember The Cold War was quite intense during that time and Vietnam was beginning to heat up. Also, despite technology available, the World was still a larger place than it is now.

Lots of Cool gadgetry, especially the Flight packs and "Race" is a true Bad-Ass! One thing for sure, I would leave "Bandit" in a kennel; he's truly more of a hindrance than a help. Reminds Me a lot of Spritle and Chim-Chim from SPEED RACER.
LOVED SR in Fourth Grade, but unlike JQ, it has not aged well