View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I think they would disturb you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Well, the cat scenes are definitely rough. But everything I've read about it says that no real harm was done to any cat on screen, and that there was a vet and animal cruelty rep present on set. However, one cat that they got from a shelter ended up having to be euthanized later, back at the shelter, which is, at least at the time, SOP in Australia. So it's really up to you. It's a really fascinating film, and a challenging watch for several reasons.
Thanks, guys - That what I figured... And I appreciate the insight, J, in terms of how the cats were actually treated. I'm really curious about it just because a lot of people on here think it's a great film (you guys, Ferox, EC, and Roshiq, just to name a few), so I think I need to get over my wimpyness and just watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistinas666 View Post
Yea, the cat scenes are disturbing but it really isn't over the top and its important to the plot, IMO.
I think you hit the nail on the head - I keep telling myself, "This isn't a cat-torturing movie. Get over it." Now if only I'd listen... ;)

Let Me In (2010)

To be honest, I really loved the original movie (HIGHLY recommended for those of you who haven't seen it yet), so I had avoided the remake purposefully. Based on the positive reviews, however, I knew I had to see it eventually, and so I did last night...

And, honestly, it's a really good movie. Very good. In fact, if it wasn't a remake it might have blown me away just a little... But considering it's nearly a line-by-line remake of the original, I just wonder Why did this need to be made? Not that it was a bad movie... Just completely unnecessary, especially since it followed the original so closely. Damn, are Americans THAT LAZY when it comes to reading subtitles?

I would say that the one clear advantage that this movie had over the original was the portrayal of Owen; I found him significantly more sympathetic while at the same time horrifyingly more creepy. I thought that it was a better casting decision and I both connected with him and feared him at the same time; in Let the Right One In I found the kid who played Oskar to be doughy, durfy, and slightly retarded... Though that could have been the language barrier... I didn't connect with him; I found him weak and pretty lame... But in the remake I definitely connected with Owen.

It was interesting what they did with Abby in the remake; she was definitely more manipulative, though I prefer the subtly to Eli in the original; I thought she was brilliant.

Also, the remake definitely lacked the creepy crawly pedophilic sexual undertones of the original, which, to me, were key to the plot and core of the film and what truly put me at dis-ease. Friggin American pussies.

In short, it's good... Would have been GREAT if it wasn't just an American cookie-cutter remake. Bizarre.

3.5/5.