View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 06:49 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
The Thing from Another World 1951 ★★★½

I love fifties horror. Across the decade, you can tell how movies are coming into their own. But the influences of theatre and stageplays still simmer through. Wether it's in the positioning of the actors or their lines or delivery. Sometimes, it still leans a tad more to reciting or orating rather than to casually speaking.

I love the build up the film uses. As other reviews mentioned, it lays out alot of the tropes imitated by other horror films in later years. Slowly letting the danger sink in. Introducing it bit by bit. The scientist losing his mind because of their advanced status. And yet for some reason, the alien goes down in a way equally silly as when Will Smith makes the alien crash.

To cap things off, I must compliment the stunt people. I know, most of the effects are offscreen. But that stunt with the alien on fire? Are you kidding me? And that in 1951? For that long? Holy moly, Batman.
Oh yeah, that pyrotechnics stunt in the film is over the top! The first time you see it you're like whoah, this is getting out of hand, bring in the fire extinguishers!

It's an engrossing thriller without many flaws. I would have liked to see them expand on the scientist's experiments and the conflict therein, but overall it's tight with a good pace.