View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Werewolf of London is riddled with holes, but the makeup and Warner Oland are both great. Valerie Hobson, however, is one of the most irritating actresses I've ever seen. She's the only actor in Bride of Frankenstein that I'm displeased with. I understand she was a teenager at the time, but still she's nails on a chalkboard. I think the Wolfman has much more going for it than Freudian elements and good production values. I think Lon Chaney Jr. proves he could have been the actor his father was with this movie. Claude Rains exudes paternal tenderness (although yes, he must have married Julie Strain to have a son the size of Lon) and simultaneously shows all the elements of being the lord of a cursed house. Siodmak mentioned that this was meant to be like Greek tragedy and the civilized propriety and obsessive rationality Rains has shows the hubris of the modern patriarch trying to stand up against Artemis and Dionyssus alike. But, instead of through the eyes of a rational, Freudian Creon, we get to see through the viewpoint of a man haunted by the last vestiges of the earth's magic. The gypsy, the anima, the overlooked Cassandra ends up knowing the score and its beautiful. There's a hint of the Wicker Man in it all.

Last edited by Doc Faustus; 12-16-2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: forgot a noun. Can't have a proper sentence without the noun, now can we?